Wednesday, December 14, 2016

FIRST SNOW!

The island across from the cottage yesterday, just after the snow quit.


It snowed yesterday…the first real snow this time around. What the old folks would have referred to as a "sticking snow."

Heretofore the closest we'd come were a few flakes swirling about on northerly winds a time or two over the last couple of weeks. Never enough to scoop up a teaspoon full, let alone whiten the ground. 

But this one wasn't messing about—it began early, soon after daylight, and kept at it until mid-afternoon. Four or five inches worth. The sky stayed dim and sullen the whole day. 

Today, the sun is shining bright and the sky's a radiant azure blue. But numbingly cold—3˚F for last night's low and only 12˚F now, an hour before noon. Too cold too soon! Most years we never experience such arctic lows before mid-January.

Ahh, well…that's Ohio for you. And cold or not, the snow is lovely. 

The same island view, except made today with blue skies and sunshine!


      

8 comments:

Penny said...

Beautiful photo, no snow for us but so far only a couple of hot days. Lovely sitting outside days.

Grizz………… said...

Penny…

It is pretty, though some of the snow on the limbs blew off in yesterday's winds. I like like snow, though such cold temperatures so soon are a bit of a shock. It's only 2˚F (-17˚C) right now, which is cold by any wintertime standards hereabouts, and really cold for mid-December. Especially when you consider that we're still officially in autumn, not winter…and the seasons won't change until next Tuesday.

Gail said...

Hi Grizz - beautiful photos -
we have about 3 feet on the ground and temps either side of zero!! We are baking cookies today and made a big pot of chicken soup SO many blessings.
Stay warm
Love Gail
peace......,.

Grizz………… said...

Gail…

Three feet! Wow! Makes our 4-5 inches seem pitiful…which it is, really. Just enough to whiten the ground. I have the woodstove going…wonderful radiant heat…and have been making stews and soups for the past couple of weeks, which we both love this time of year. No cookie baking yet, but several pies have been baked. We're heading out to do some shopping this afternoon. might have to do some cookies when we get back…or maybe a loaf of soda bread.

Be good. Santa's comin.'

Gail said...

Hi again - I can smell the soups simmering, feel the warmth of your hearth-fire, and see you and your lady-love out and about - SO any blessings for you too :-)

Love, Gail
peace......

Grizz………… said...

Gail...

Well, we went out, shopped and drove around, ate some pizza, shopped some more...and somewhere about dusk I began getting sick. Achy, runny eyes and nose, all-over blahs. Got back here about 7:30 and I just flopped into my chair and went steadily downhill. Not doing much better today. So guess I'll make an early night of it and go to bed soon after supper. I'm worthless sitting up anyway. And that's my tale of woe. 🤒

Gail said...

Hi again

oh no, so sorry to hear you are ailing - :-( you k ow the drill, rest, drink lots of fluids, chicken soup and some tylenol feel better,k?
Love to you
Gail
peace.....

Grizz………… said...

Gail…

Well, I finally saw your comment! Since they've changed Blogger around, I'm no longer aware of my pending comments—I have to actually get on my desktop, scroll through the editing/composing options, find "comments" and then "pending comments" and look. Used to I could check easily on my iPad or iPhone.

Anyway…I'm over my cold/flu/sick. Wasn't too bad, 4-5 fairly miserable days and 1-2 more on the tail end. But I kept plugging along in spite of it all, no choice, really, and eventually passed it along. Misery loves company. We've both better. In an exhausted sort of way.

Hope you had a great Christmas.